Festival Packing List
(Your mileage may vary)
I thought it would be helpful to make a general list of things that I am bringing to this year's Fractalfest. Mind you, certain things are very specific to me, but hopefully this can be considered a starting point for others, and may vary from festival to festival.
- Some Form of Shelter - For me, it's Nightshade, my class B RV, who serves multiple functions that can change day to day. For others, it's a tent, or an improvised set up in their vehicles.
- Clothing - Weather conditions can change suddenly. Warm weather clothing as well as cool weather clothing are crucial. Extra socks and undies (if that is what you wear). Festie-grime IS a stereotype for a reason. Comfortable shoes. Towels. Panchoes, or some form of wet-weather gear.
- Food and Water - This goes without saying. I have seen some amazing set ups with complete kitchens, and enjoyed some darned good meals prepared by friends. I like to bring MREs (Meals Ready to Eat) that I pick up from a local military surplus store to go with whatever else I bring.
- Coffee or tea
- Propane stove / fuel - Nightshade has her own small galley, others bring some form of propane camp stoves. No charcoal grills or open fires are allowed.
- Utensils - Knife, Fork, Spoon, Spork, Chopsticks. Whatever. (I travel with all of them)
- Soap of some kind - Should be biodegradable and multi purpose. Good for sponge baths, clean up of food, clothing, or shampoo. Camp soap, Dr. Bronner's, etc.
- Toothbrush and toothpaste - Can you imagine three or four days of festival grime on your teeth?..
- Bug repellant - Mosquitoes and ticks are horrible this year.
- Flashlight(s), headlamps, LED lanterns, Chem-Lights/Glow Sticks.
- Trash bags - Leave No Trace. If it came with you, it leaves with you. If it did not come from the land, it does not remain on the land.
- Phone/Walkie Talkie - If you're with a group, it's good to remain in contact with the group
- Chargers and batteries for all your electronics - Cigarette Lighter Inverters are a wonderful thing!
- Venue Map - Besides knowing where to camp, park, art galleries, unique festival features and the stages are it's crucial to know where medical services, porta-potties, security desk, and water stations are.
- Performer Time Slots - Who is playing or performing, where, and when.
- First Aid Kit, Benadryl / epipen / medical ID tags / ICE (In Case of Emergency) Contact List - You never know.
This is not a list that is fixed, and set in stone and should be considered a starting point. What is appropriate for me can be very different for someone else.